I am so in love with the choker look that I'm seeing everywhere right now! This trend brings me back to my childhood, growing up in the 90's. What I like about the choker is that it's the perfect way to add interest to an outfit with one single statement piece. You can dress them up or down, and they still look fabulous.
My favorite way to style this necklace is with a white tank top or a slouchy white tee. They also looks great for an evening out with a classic black dress and a great pair of heels. Today I am going to teach you how to make two different styles of chokers that won't break the bank, and are also super easy to put together! The first choker is a classic velvet style, and the second one is a tie-around style that works great with more laid back looks.
What you'll need:
- Start by measuring your neck all the way around with the ribbon, allowing enough extra room so the choker is comfortable (about an 1/8 inch). Cut the ribbon to the desired length.
- Take the lighter and hold the ends of the ribbon as close to the flame as possible without actually touching it. Move the entire edge of the ribbon across the flame. This step will seal the cut edges of the ribbon and prevent fraying.
- Take the toggle clasps and sew the loop of each onto the ends of the ribbon, making sure the stitching is secure.
- Trim any loose, visible string.
What you'll need:
Faux Suede Cord
- Take your cord and measure it around your neck to find the right length. I used 1 1/2 yards. Remember to leave enough room to wrap the cord around your neck twice and tie a bow in the front.
- Once you have your desired length, take one bead for each side (or more if you'd like) and slide them onto the cord. Tie two knots on top of each other at the ends of the string so that the beads won't slip off.
Which choker style is your favorite? How do you feel about the choker trend right now? Share your thoughts in the comments below! If you make one of these chokers and post it online, make sure to tag me in your pictures, I'd love to see what you create!