Essie Matte About You Review
Matte nails are super hot right now, so I decided to pick up a bottle of Essie Matte About You topcoat to finish off my at-home manicures. I shopped around the beauty supply for a bit, looking at different brands of topcoats, but ended up going with Essie since I love their polishes and also use their base coat.
- Goes on extremely matte! I have tried other brand's matte topcoats before, and this is by far the most matte finish I have tried to date.
- Dries very quickly. I noticed that within a few seconds the topcoat started turning matte, and by the end of one minute it seemed completely dry. I was still careful to not touch my nails to anything, but it seemed to dry very nicely in a short amount of time.
- Goes on smooth. I used only one thin coat of this on each nail, and it went on very smoothly without any lines, bumps, or streaks.
- Matte finish isn't long lasting. I noticed that after about 3 days the matte finish started to fade away to a soft satin finish. It did't look bad, just not the matte look I was going for.
- Didn't seem very long lasting. I noticed a small chip at the tip of one of my nails the day after I applied it, although it wasn't very noticeable so it wasn't a big deal. After a few more days, I noticed some additional chipping as well. I'm not positive if this was the topcoat or if it was the nail polishes fault, but it just did't feel like it made my nails very sturdy.
- Slight cracking in the polish. I noticed some cracks on both of my thumbs a few days after applying the topcoat. I didn't see cracks on any of the other nails, so I think it might be because I applied it a little too thick.
Overall this was a great purchase and I would definitely buy it again! It you are looking for an ultra matte topcoat, you have to give this one a try.
What are your favorite nail products? How do you feel about the matte nail trend? Share with me in the comments!