Feeling Sick? How To Feel Better Faster
There's something about the holiday season that seems to bring on sickness. Maybe it's the stress, the cold weather, or just a few too many holiday drinks and late nights, but it seems inevitable that at least one person in my family will get sick around this time of the year. So what are the best ways treat a cold? Check out some of the things I do when I'm feeling under the weather that help me to feel better fast.
- Stay hydrated - The body needs a lot of fluids in order to function properly when it's in good health, and the same holds true when it's fighting a cold. Even though drinking water might be the last thing on your mind when you are sick, make sure to continue getting plenty of fluids. Not only will this help your body to fight off the sickness, but it will also help to ease congestion. Water is the best option, but you can also try other clear liquids if you prefer. Stay away from alcohol and caffeinated drinks, which can slow down your healing process.
- Increase your vitamin C intake - When I feel a cold coming on, I like to increase my vitamin C intake with orange juice. Aim to drink 1-2 glasses a day when you suspect you might be getting sick. Although orange juice can't entirely prevent a cold, it can help to shorten the duration and lessen your symptoms as well.
- Get plenty of rest - It can be tempting to continue your normal routine when you are feeling under the weather, but by overexerting your body, you might just be worsening your sickness. Make sure to get to bed early and get lots of rest throughout the day. This might sound like a simple step, but it can be the hardest for a lot of people with busy schedules.
- Don't stress - Stress and anxiety can be a huge contributing factor when it comes to getting sick, so make sure you do your best to relax your mind when you feel a cold coming on. I can think back to times when I got really sick, and usually I can find a very stressful event or time that leads up to the sickness. Our mind has a powerful effect over our body, so make sure to relax and do things that help you to unwind at the end of the day.
- Sip on some hot tea - Not only will this count towards your total water consumption during the day, drinking hot tea can be very comforting when suffering from a cold. The warmth from the tea can help to unclog a stuffy nose, in addition to soothing a sore throat. I like to drink Throat Coat from Traditional Medicinals whenever I'm sick. Although the taste can take some time to get used to (it tastes a bit like licorice), it feels heavenly on a sore throat! Next time you have a sore throat I highly recommend trying it!
- Use a humidifier - Keeping the air moist is a very important part of the healing process. This goes hand in hand with staying hydrated. A humidifier keeps the air moist, helping to sooth and hydrate the lungs and throat. The moisturized air will also help with a congested head.
I hope you find these tips useful and are able to use them next time you're feeling ill. What do you like to do to prevent or heal from a sickness? Share with me in the comments below!