5 Post-Thanksgiving Detox Tips
We are probably all guilty of overindulging during this past Thanksgiving weekend, which means it's time to get back on track with our healthy eating habits. This is my personal plan for how I will combat any weight gained over the weekend, and also how I will continue preparing for upcoming holiday parties and the unfortunately inevitable over-indulgences.
1. Smoothies for breakfast and lunch - In order to help me shed some of the water weight I gained over the weekend, I will be drinking smoothies each day this week for breakfast and lunch. The high fiber content along with the water in the smoothies will help me to reduce bloat in my stomach, and will also give me enough energy each morning to hit it hard at the gym. Need some smoothie recipe inspiration? Check out some of my favorite recipes here.
2. Hit the gym 5 times a week - After enjoying a long and relaxing weekend, I am in need of some great workouts. I am very good about hitting the gym Monday-Friday, but I took off Thursday and Friday last week for the holiday. This week, I will be adding on an additional 15 minutes each day to my cardio sessions, just to help counteract the extra calories and fat I consumed over the weekend. Running can be a great way to help achieve fitness and weight loss goals. For myself, whenever I hit a plateau, incorporating running into my routine helps me to get back on track to losing weight.
3. Increase water intake - I usually try to get at least 3 liters of water in daily, but of course during the holidays, it can be difficult to drink that much in between parties and visiting with relatives. This week, I am focusing on making sure I get enough water each day. Water is very important to support a healthy body, promote weight loss, and to rehydrate after an intense gym session. By starting off my morning with one liter of water, it helps me to continue drinking throughout the day. To find out an estimate of how much water you should be drinking each day, check out www.waterintakecalculator.com, which will help determine how much you need based on your weight, lifestyle, and climate.
4. Drink lemon water each morning - I've talked about the benefits of lemon water in a previous post, which you can check out here. Drinking lemon water in the morning will help to decrease bloat and promote regularity, which can be very helpful after a weekend of eating the wrong foods. You can also count your glass of lemon water towards your daily water intake, which is another bonus.
5. Write down goals - This week, I will be thinking about what goals I have for the next few months and writing them down. By visualizing my goals and putting them on paper, it will make it a lot easier for me to stick with my healthy habits. I always feel more motivated when I have specific goals for myself rather than very general goals like "lose weight", or "get healthy", which can be hard to actually follow. I write down goals such as "increase my running by an additional 10 minutes within the next two weeks", or "lose 1/2 inch off of my waist by 12/15/15". After writing down my goals, I make an action plan for myself of how I will hit my goals. I review this list daily, which keeps me motivated and focused on what I want.
I hope you found these tips helpful and are able to incorporate them into your lifestyle. If you try them out, I'd love to hear how they work out for you, comment below!